I drove upstate to visit my best friend from college this past weekend because she just had her first baby. I couldn’t help but ponder the milestones we’ve shared: graduations, weddings, fur-babies, and now…a real baby! Our friendship has been nothing but a gift to me, and I smiled to myself—feeling so thankful.
It got me thinking about what makes a good friendship, so I wrote a list…
9 Qualities That Make a Good Friend:
1. Someone who helps carry your load, but doesn’t make you feel like a burden.
2. Someone who knows your worst, but only sees your best.
3. Someone who never makes you feel small, no matter how big they are.
4. Someone who doesn’t flaunt, especially when they know you’re hurting.
5. Someone who never makes you feel like you have not arrived, but still encourages you to grow.
6. Someone who rejoices in your accomplishments, as if they were their own.
7. Someone who doesn’t hold your mistakes over your head, but throws them deep into the sea of forgiveness.
8. Someone who gives you their very best, but does so without contingencies.
9. Someone who doesn’t make you feel like you have to perform, because they love you for being exactly who you are.
Someone who rejoices in your accomplishments, as if they were their own.
This type of friend makes me feel comfortable in my skin, confident that I am loved, and more than anything—free.
You’ll enjoy what these other writers have to say about friendship:
Take It Easy—On Your Friends
9 Marks of a Beautiful Woman (on the Inside)
Just Because She’s Pretty, Doesn’t Mean You’re Not
5 Tips for Mending Fences in Your Relationships
How to Use The 5 Love Languages for Strong Friendships
How Friendship Changes as an Adult
Don’t miss these popular articles:
I Might Be a Good Mom, Can That Make Me Be a Bad Wife?
What Does It Take to Be a Strong Woman of Grit and Grace?
On Courage: Strong People Have Weak Moments
5 Ways to Handle Hard Circumstances with Grit and Grace
To the Mom Who’s Lacking Self-Confidence: Do This
You’ll enjoy this podcast episode from This Grit and Grace Life: Great Friends: 9 Qualities to Be One and Find One – 031!